Mashed Potatoes & Crumbled “Meat” Casserole
Recipe by Michelle Mena
- 6-7 large potatoes
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup plain soy milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- bunch of cilantro
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2-4 tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 pk crumble meat substitute
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1-3 cups shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Step 2 In a medium pot, boil the potatoes with 1 teaspoon of salt, until tender. Remove potatoes from the pot and using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until they are smooth. Add the butter, garlic powder and milk, ½ cup vegan mozzarella cheese and combine well. Set aside
- Step 3 In a medium pan, heat the oil over medium-hot heat. Sauté the onion, pepper, garlic, cilantro. Add the meat and let cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, oregano, salt and cayenne. Let simmer 5 min.
- Step 4 Lightly spray a glass baking pan with cooking spray. Add a layer of mashed potatoes to the bottom of the pan. Then, add a second layer with all the cooked crumbled meat. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Spread another layer of mashed potatoes and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Step 5 Place in the oven, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted.
- Step 6 Serve warm.
Like this recipe? Share it with friends!